Thoughts of a schools mentor - Helle Sewell


Hi my name is Helle and I’m a Schools Worker in North Shields. (Google maps will give you a beautiful picture of the sea and the mouth of the river Tyne!)  I work for the Methodist Church but the LEA likes me to act as an RE Tutor so overall I have access to any schools in North Tyneside! I primarily work in High Schools (13 - 18year olds) and one Middle School (7-13 year olds). My main task is to provide lunchtime clubs, take assemblies and teach RE lessons on a specific topic e.g. Who is God? , Why Jesus?, Easter, The Bible etc. …in fact anything that the teachers find difficult to teach or prefer it to be taught from a Christian point of view! I also facilitate for other Christian organisations to have access to schools and soon will be starting Romance Academy in one of the High Schools.
Mentoring really is a significant part of my work as I have regular contact with the same groups and teachers. So for example I have a Philosophy Club at one of the schools and the oldest members of this club have been coming for 3 years.  I get to find out how are things with them at home, at school, with their friends. They take me on the journey of their life and I get an opportunity to support by listening or asking open-ended questions, which help them to come to solutions to their problems by having someone to think it through with them.
I also have regular contact with the teachers who similarly have problems with different aspects of their lives. Some of these teachers are Christians and most are not. The support I give is equal. As a Christian I feel we have a duty of care, especially when we are gifted at mentoring, and offer them a chance to experience here on earth what Christians have when we walk through life with God by our side. Fortunately, I have time on my hands so find myself not rushing or trying to hurry the person who is speaking to me. I distinctly pray with the Christian teachers at their work place. They seem to find help in that as it can get overwhelming; and having time to stop and even pray is almost impossible for them.

An example of specific mentoring comes to mind, when one of the teachers (who is not a Christian but searching/looking/experiencing) discovered that her teenage daughter had scoliosis. This discovery took most of her energy and suddenly there was a need to lean on God. I did not pray with her at the time but told her that I would and promised that whenever she sent me text updates I would say a prayer. On the day of the operation and the critical hours that followed she could not have been more thankful for the calm and in control feeling that she felt. Our relationship now is on a different level and I'm continuously there for her.
I've started to look into aspects of counselling (although I do not wish to become a counsellor per se) so that I have basic skills and know the limits. In reality I cannot cure anybody, not that I wish to, but I understand what it means to ask the right sort of question and what a difference it makes to someone when they are cared for in simplest terms.

However this all is a journey for me too and although I'm a perfectionist I make mistakes and that hurts. So I know that the spirit of discernment is essential both in understanding others and myself.
Helle Sewell
Helle comes from Estonia and originally moved to England in 1995 to study Applied Theology at Cliff College. She then spent a year working in 'community' ie. in ASDA and then in a local Pub - great way to experience another culture!  In 2000 finished a PGCE at Sheffield Hallam and became an RE teacher at Chaucer Community College in Parsons Cross. In 2004 she moved to the North East because her Husband got stationed in Whitley Bay. She then worked as a Supply teacher and in 2005 I got offered a job as a schools worker for the Whiley Bay and North Shields Circuit. They have one child. 

No comments: