24hr mentoring retreat...

I've just had my annual 24hr retreat with my spiritual director (which happens to be Paul Wilcox!).
We meet at other times in the year for shorter lengths of time, but this longer mentoring time in the form of a 24hr retreat, has become a firm part of my yearly rhythm which I wouldn't miss for anything. For me it is:

1. A time to Slow down and take the long view:
Alan Nelson says  'the sheer speed of life combined with our human nature, pulls away from being centred on God'.
These last 24 hours I've been able to pull myself out of the furious flow of ministry leadership to regain perspective and, with a trusted friend who knows me well, ponder key questions.

2.  A time to re - purpose:
This time always helps me look back to see where I've meandered away from 'the disciplines' and realign with that intentional way of living I know is the way.

3. A time to celebrate what's good:
Celebrating the successes is as important as facing the failure. I'm thankful for the gracious way my mentor deals with me and after what has been a tough few months being able to have time over good food, a warm fire, to laugh, chew the cud, as well as time to pray, listen and read God's word does my soul a power of good!

As we drive back from the retreat centre of choice I always feel such peace, spiritual centredness, appreciation of having the process of mentoring in my life and real hope for the future!

No comments: