Benefits of Being Mentored



A reflection on the benefits of being mentored from Matt Wild, who lives in Peterborough...


PERSPECTIVE
The mentoring relationship has enabled me to gain a perspective on my life that is bigger. Mentoring has provided formulation in my life good disciplines and right perspectives, especially prioritising the important things such as my relationship with God, spouse, children - things that sadly can become casualties to 'the ministry'. Whilst not being a finished product I am able to have acceptability over these areas.

SAFE-SPACE
The benefit of mentoring in my life is that it is safe space. Through the nature of the relationship being 'off-line' outside line management, and not a colleague it us a safe space where I can be myself, a space where I am not responsible. A space where the agenda is me, and my growth whilst being able to be challenged by a critical friend.

WISE COUNSEL
another benefit that mentoring has brought to me as a mentee is having wise counsel and Godly perspective at significant stages of my journey through major decisions and defining moments. This has appeared in the contexts of moving through changing ministry roles, family issues and deciding what other vehicles that can enhance my development and growth.

I feel blessed to have had mentoring begin during the early stages of ministry and leadership. In human terms, outside of God's goodness, grace and keeping, I can think of no other relationship outside of my home/ marriage that has had such a impact and without which I'm not sure where I'd be today ....

No comments: